Fall Healthy Living Tips
Healthy Living Tips - Fall 2012
As an organization dedicated to healthy living, the Y has developed five pillars that support a healthy family home: eat healthy, play every day, get together, go outside and sleep well. Focusing on these key areas is sure to help even the busiest family live healthier.
Small steps can lead to big changes. Here are a few tips to help your family get started on building a healthier family home this fall:
1. Choose Drinks With Care - help your children drink fewer sweetened beverages and choose water or low-fat milk instead.
2. Family Play for an Hour a Day - daily playful movement and physical activity is the key to a healthy family.
3. Take Time to Get Together - spending regular quality time together as a family is one of the best ways to improve your family’s health and well-being.
4. How Healthy is Your Home? The Y has designed a 10-question quiz to assess how your family is doing with each of the five pillars of a healthy home. Take the quiz online by clicking here.
Tips for Keeping Your Family Active
- Play a game of tag or soccer after school.
- Instead of watching TV, take a walk or dance around the house after dinner.
- Plan at least 2 fun physical activity together on weekends.
- Take the stairs when you're at your favorite museum or library.
- Involve kids in active chores, like putting away groceries or sweeping.
- Make sure your kids have opportunities for active play after school on most days of the week - in your yard, at a playground or in sports programs.
Tips for Better Family Nutrition
- Choose water or low-fat milk over sugary drinks. Watch out for juice, as it can have as much sugar as soda.
- Set limits on sugary and high-fat foods to a few servings a week.
- Aim for 5 servings a day of fruits and veggies.
- Serve snacks your kids could enjoy in the place of high-sugar options: fresh or dried fruit, granola, or low-sugar cereals.
- Make time to eat together - even if its only a few times a week.